Screencast-O-Matic is a program or, as we say it, a software tool for screen recording and video editing that can be directly accessed from your browser and does not require a separate Screencast-O-Matic download.
The software provided by Screencast-O-Matic has been used in the educational sector for a long time, capturing lectures, flipped classroom videos, bi-directional student evaluations, and student video projects. Users of Screencast-O-Matic aren’t limited to educational purposes, however.
Let’s walk through the Screencast-O-Matic features, pros & cons, free and paid version, as well as one of its best alternatives.
Key Features of Screencast-O-Matic
1. Screen Recording Tool
Screencast-O-Matic offers a free screen recorder that allows you to record whatever is on your screen and/or webcam. Adding microphone narration is free of cost, but you will need to upgrade this tool if you want to record computer audio.
2. Video Editing Tool
Screencast-O-Matic offers an editing tool with which you can combine and match videos from different devices all at once and add numerous effects. Such effects include, but are not limited to, animations, background music, green screen, sound effects, and screen overlays with images, audio-visuals, transcripts, etc.
3. Screenshots of the Screen
You can take a screenshot of your whole screen or a specific area with the help of the screenshot tool. Furthermore, you can add animations, symbols, text, or highlights to your screenshots for improved understanding.
4. Hosting Platform
It offers a hosting platform for any video; you can manage it very easily and share it with others. These videos can even be shared by sending customized links to anyone.
The Pros and Cons of Screencast-O-Matic
- Easy to use, responsive, and can be used in regular tasks
- Promotes working as a whole in an organization rather than individually
- Has good quality and various tools to use and edit the content
- According to their website, it is compatible with Chromebooks, but the link doesn’t work.
- The navigation on the screen menu is a little complex to understand, as reported by some users.
Free Version Vs. the Paid Version
This Software is available in two versions, free and paid, and let’s make the comparison of both:
1. Free Version
In the free version of Screencast-O-Matic, you get nearly all of the available choices for screen recording, screen and webcam capturing in minimized or full-screen view, as well as basic tools for video editing. Your music library will come with a limited number of 30 tracks. The screenshots tool is accessible, too.
2. Paid Version
There are two paid pro versions: Deluxe and Premier. In the Deluxe version, along with all free features, there is the ability to zoom in and record, publish to Dropbox and Vimeo, and draw while recording. It also provides access to a complete music library.
In the Premier version, apart from all the features of the Deluxe version, you will also get a stock library. Moreover, you’ll have access to a tailored video player.
Best Alternative to Screencast-O-Matic: Bandicam
Screencast-O-Matic is a good and popular screen recorder that allows you to capture your screen and webcam. However, if you are looking for alternatives that can capture not only your screen and webcam but also games and other devices, Bandicam is the finest tool you will find on the market. The free version of Bandicam doesn’t even require you to make an account from the start, unlike Screencast.
You can install Bandicam directly from its website and try out the tools and functions that it offers. Bandicam is a user-friendly, free-of-cost screen recording software that allows you to record anything you want from your computer’s screen. Effortlessly capture your computer screen, gaming videos and plays, and webcam activity along with audio files. Bandicam also supports webcam overlay, real-time drawing, and schedule recording.
Key Features of Bandicam
1. Record a Screen: With this software, you can record everything on your computer screen and save it as a screencast video file (MP4, AVI) or image file.
2. Record a Game: Bandicam enables users to record various 2D/3D games with 4K UHD Video and capture up to 480 FPS Video.
3. Device capture: Device Recording mode in Bandicam can record webcam, Xbox/PlayStation, smartphone, IPTV, etc.
4. Webcam Overlay: With Bandicam, users can add themselves in a webcam view on a video that is being recorded.
5. Add Your Own Voice: Bandicam allows users to capture system audios and their own commentaries in addition.
6. Various Effects: This software can be used to add names and logos on a video in addition to mouse click effects while recording videos.
A screen recording can prove to be a boon in situations where you need to share your ideas with the world. You can get one free of cost or even pay to get more features, and it depends on what you need it for. In this article, we looked at the main features of Screencast-O-Matic, their pros & cons, free and paid versions, and alternative. Simply download any of the mentioned screen recorders of your choice and enjoy it!