DeadSkullzJr

[Bug] Recording Window Stutters and Audio Crackling When Viewing and or Recording Footage via HDMI Capture Device

Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:19 pm

Hello, I seem to have stumbled on a couple interesting quirks when using Bandicam's HDMI capturing capabilities. Some time ago I had received an Elgato HD60 Pro HDMI capture card, I wasn't able to test it right away considering I lacked an HDMI cord to use at the time, so it wasn't until recent when I finally could after getting access to a cord to use. Upon testing with Bandicam I noticed something strange about the recording window when playing my game consoles, for some strange reason the video feed stutters from time to time spontaneously, regardless of actually recording the game play or not, but here is where it gets really weird, this stuttering problem doesn't impact videos I record at all, watching the recorded videos where the stuttering should appear ends up showing no such things occurring whatsoever. I double checked to see if I was receiving the same stutter problems through my HDMI out connection, I can confirm that this does NOT occur here at all, the video feed is operating the way it should, so this is definitive enough that the video related portions of the HDMI capture card and my cables work as intended and confirms this is a weird issue with Bandicam. I should note that I am NOT using the H264 encoding options for the video feed, I generally use the RGB related options.

Another issue I noticed was with the audio crackling from time to time when using the "use custom audio device" option, in specific I used the "Game Capture HD60 Pro Audio" option that is given to me since obviously the Elgato HD60 Pro can handle audio inputs and outputs through HDMI. This crackle issue isn't apparent at all when using the Elgato capture software, which confirms this also isn't a hardware problem but a software problem in regards to Bandicam. Recorded videos unfortunately do seem to contain the audio crackling when they occur, I was forced to utilize my line-in connection to bypass this issue, which works but isn't ideal for every situation.

The game consoles I tested with were my Nintendo Switch and my Super NES Classic Edition, 1080p and 720p respectively, both run with the intended refresh rate of 60Hz, and considering my display is a 60hz refresh rate monitor, I can't say it's a display issue. I actually have my Elgato HDMI out connected directly to this display, and considering there is no stuttering issues when viewing the game play through the output connection, extra icing on the cake that it isn't my display. It gets kind of hard to navigate in games whenever the stutter issues occur. While I could output to a second display and just watch the game play through that whilst my primary display is busy with displaying the Bandicam stuff, problem is I don't have a secondary display to work with, I'm stuck with just this one display currently, and I would hardly consider this a genuine fix anyways considering this doesn't actually solve the main issues with Bandicam (if it is truly an issue with the software that is, so far everything points to it), it should be possible for people to watch their game play through the recording window without an issue.

System Specifications:
Display: ASUS VE248 (60Hz)
CPU: Intel i7-7700k @ 4.20GHz
GPU: ASUS GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

Unfortunately I have no way of providing any sort of recording to demonstrate the weird stuttering considering I wasn't able to find a way to screen record Bandicam itself whilst having the HDMI capture window open at the same time. Considering how easy it is to reproduce on my end, it should be reproducible by others who have the same capture card, and quite potentially others in the same brand line, or others in general. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed in some degree in the future.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: [Bug] Recording Window Stutters and Audio Crackling When Viewing and or Recording Footage via HDMI Capture Device

Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:54 am

Hello DeadSkullzJr,

1. Regarding the stuttering issue, please select the other codec and try recording again.

2. The audio issue might occur when you check the "Use custom audio device" option.

Please refer to the following FAQ page.
https://www.bandicam.com/faqs/audio-sync-delay/#case3

Thank you.

DeadSkullzJr

Re: [Bug] Recording Window Stutters and Audio Crackling When Viewing and or Recording Footage via HDMI Capture Device

Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:53 am

Hello DeadSkullzJr,

1. Regarding the stuttering issue, please select the other codec and try recording again.

2. The audio issue might occur when you check the "Use custom audio device" option.

Please refer to the following FAQ page.
https://www.bandicam.com/faqs/audio-sync-delay/#case3

Thank you.
I think there may have been a slight misunderstanding here in regards to the encoding method I mentioned in my previous post. I'll restate what I said, I did NOT use the H.264 option in the capture card settings at all, I utilized the RGB settings, I can't use the H.264 option because it causes me to lag really bad, hence why I said I used the RGB setting instead. As stated in the previous post, the issue does NOT impact the recordings I make themselves, this issue occurs just looking at the video footage through your software's capture card viewer window, you do NOT have to record footage at all for this issue to occur, this has something to do with Bandicam either having some hiccups or delays due to a quirk of sorts that I am unable to pinpoint. All you have to do is set your capture device up and just watch the footage through the capture card viewer window, at some point you'll notice some stuttering with the video frames as if there were slight frame drops on occasions.

The easiest way to spot the issue from my experiences so far, run a game that's meant to be 60 FPS, a first person shooter title preferably like Metroid Prime Remastered (what I tested with) for example, next hold either left or right on your directional controls to make your character spin in a circle repeatedly, it's best to do this near objects or walls so you get an idea of what the motion is supposed to look like when spinning at 60 FPS (results may vary based on your controller sensitivity settings), you'll notice the stuttering on occasions while you spin around, this issue becomes apparent during normal play in many titles and can cause a bit of trouble navigating around in-game when viewing the game play through the capture card viewer window. I repeat, this does NOT actually show in the recordings themselves, only in the capture card viewer window. This is a problem as this can make navigating in games hard whenever the stutters occur, and even though this issue isn't apparent in video recordings themselves, the mistakes a player makes will be there due to the capture card viewer window stuttering and preventing them to play fluently.

As for your second point you said, I'll give it a whirl and come back with results.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”