D4rkResistance

Massive flickering when recording DLSS 3 (Frame Generation) games!

Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:35 am

Dear Bandicam team,

i recently discovered an issue, when i try to record games, which are using DLSS3 or Frame Generation. It seems like Bandicam or the codec i'm using (MagicYUV) is only recording the "real" frames and not the AI-generated ones. The result is light flickering in the recorded video. I'm currently uploading a video of "Hogwarts Legacy", which is a better example (can show you later), but for now, i can only show you my recent video of "Cyberpunk 2077", where you can't see the issue that good, compared to the fine bushes and trees in Hogwarts Legacy, but the other video isn't unfortunately uploaded, yet.

https://youtu.be/gX6UdVsZO9w

So it's probably your software or the codec I'm using. It would be really nice, if you could fix this issue, if its a problem on your side, because i really love your software. I also wrote a forum post in the MagicYUV forum, if it's an issue on their side.

Feel free, to ask me, anything you want, to help you with that issue.

P. S. Btw i'm using Bandicam v 6.1.0.2044 and MagicYUV 2.3.2 (Standard) - YUV 4:2:0 w/ Colorspace Rec.709 (All on "Auto") in 3440x1440 screen resolution to an Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD.

Edit: Seems like it's bandicam related. Because i tried "NVENC lossless" for reference and had the same issue.

Edit 2: You could see better what i mean, in my new 'Hogwarts Legacy' video. Look at 3:14 at the leaves of the tree:
https://youtu.be/Oo6yLBY4d3M

It's hard to spot on youtube, because of their shitty enkoder, which reduces the image quality a lot, unfortunately.

Greetings D4rk

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: Massive flickering when recording DLSS 3 (Frame Generation) games!

Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:13 pm

Hello D4rkResistance,

We have checked your 'Hogwarts Legacy' video on YouTube and found that the leaves of the tree are flickering at 3:14.
Do you see it on only recorded videos? Did you see it on the original game screen, too?
Also, please note that the recorded videos might be different from the original screen due to the video post-processing by the graphics card if you record the game with the Game Recording Mode. We are afraid that we don't have a good solution for it.

Thank you.

D4rkResistance

Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:38 am

No i only see those flickering issues in the recorded video file. Not while playing. And like i mentioned before, only when using DLSS 3 (Frame Generation). When i turn off "Nvidia Frame Generation" and using DLSS without it, the recorded video is fine, without any flickering.

I recorded another video for you guys in "Witcher 3 Next Gen" to show the differences:
https://youtu.be/2yOnWbIRQJQ
0:00 - 0:41 DLSS without "Frame Generation" (No issues)
0:41 - 1:19 DLSS with "Frame Generation" (Issues present)

You can also see that Bandicam's fps overlay is displayed and flickering in the upper right corner. Normally, it is not displayed in the recorded footage.

So it's definitely related to Frame Generation. For some reason only "Nvidia Shadowplay" is capable of recording it flawless. If i'm using any third party software, like Bandicam, MSI Afterburner or OBS, doesn't matter which codec i'm using...i have those flickering issues in my recordings. So it seems like your software or also any other third party software is only recording the "real" frames, so every second frame (ai-generated frame) will be skipped, which results in the flickering in the recorded video.

I mean sure, as a workaround i can still record my games without "Frame Generation", but in that case i only have around 60-80 fps with full Raytracing enabled. With FG i've twice the framerate.

Hopefully you can somehow fix that issue in the upcoming versions of Bandicam. Maybe talk to Nvidia directly, for advanced technical support!? You can use my Witcher 3 video for reference.

Greetings D4rk

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:22 pm

Hello D4rkResistance,

Thank you for getting back to us.

We are afraid that we don't have a good solution for it because the game recording proceeds in the following order.
DirectX screen -> Game Capture -> Graphics post-processing(Frame reconstructing by AI) -> Display Output

We have forwarded your request to our development team.

Thank you for your suggestion.

D4rkResistance

Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:26 pm

Ahh, I didn't know that order. Yes, that's probably why the recording skips the frames generated by the AI. Maybe your development team will find a solution for this in the future, because more and more games will surely support frame generation in the future, which will lead to even more requests from users. Thanks for the quick response, tho. :)

P.S. I really love your software. <3

Edit: I recently tested the capturing with Nvidia Shadowplay...and even there the recorded video is flickering, when using Frame Generation. Not as heavy as when using Bandicam, OBS or MSI Afterburner...but still. When i turn Frame Generation off, the flickering is gone with Shadowplay, too. So it seems like, its not your fault...it's Nvidias. A shame...but good to know at least, that we can't caputure games, while using Frame Generation, without flickering.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:57 pm

Hello D4rkResistance,

Thank you for your additional test report.
We have shared it with our development team.

Thank you.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”